Saturday, July 12, 2008

iPhone 3G Hunt

July 11th, iPhone 3G lunches all over the world, including the US. After about one year of using the original iPhone, I decided that I want to upgrade to the latest model, iPhone has been the most amazing phone I ever used, I use it to take notes at meetings, write email, check facebook replys, schedule events, alarm clock, upload photos, and even as a evangelism tool. Its great to be able to have keyword look up for the whole Bible, it totally defeat those "oh I think Bible says this..." moments. What I like it the most is probabley the web browser, it strike a perfect balance to bring a webpage that is designed to be view on a 15" monitor to be viewed perfectly on a 3.5" phone.

Just happens about 6 days before the new model lunch, as I was getting out of my car, I hear thud.... I look down on the groud, there was my old trusty I phone that traveled me to East Texas, Italy, and all over the place in China. I picked it up, the screen had a spider web crack all over the top edge, amazingly it still works, I can still read the screen below the glass. What a timing. I thought.

So on July 11th, as the new iPhone 3G is been lunched all over the world, I hear reports of people camping out before the Apple store in order to get one, those crazy cult of Apple people. So I decided before work, I'll drop by the ATT store at a shady part of town, it sure can't be that hard to get one at ATT store, they have about 100 store all over the city of Houston. Apple only has about 4 store in Houston.

So I showed up there at 7:49.

And to my suprise.... There was a line.... About 30 people....

ATT is letting 6 people in the store a time, while the rest wait... and wait...

So I waitting about 1 hour, then I got in, 16GB Black iPhone 3G is soldout...

Then they didn't give back my driver license, I realized that when I almost to my office in the Woodlands, had to drive back to get it, then a cop pull me over to give me a ticket for not having a front license plate.... sigh... this is not going good. At lunch I went over to the Woodlands mall, to check out the Apple Store, and here is what I saw...

The line stretched half way across the mall...

So I went back to the office, and after work I went back to the mall, finally line had been reduced to where the end of the line, you can actually see the Apple Store...

I got in line, after two hour of wait, at about 7PM. I finally got to the Apple store, this totally feel like the line at the traffic ticket court house.

Finally, here is the new iPhone 3G.

Its has a much faster internet access, has a GPS that can pick up signal with in seconds, wow! Then it can track where I went on google maps. I really like the black back, it made the phone's color scheme look much more uniform then before.

So far so good, but is it worth 4 hour of my PTO/Vacation time? Not sure yet.